Leading Restaurant Management App, an emerging next-gen hotel chain.
What Restaurant Management App had covered in the application testing processes when they initially contacted us and what they have achieved after they started using our software testing services.
QA Team: 1 Manual, 1 Automation, and 1 Security Testing Engineer
Domain: Food & Drinks
Project Length: Long-Term
- The QA process was quite scruffy and immature without any testing concepts defined and best practices followed.
- An application was unstable, undocumented, and defective with lots of critical and major bugs.
- Most of the feature stories were too perplexing and long with outdated descriptions and irrelevant test cases.
- Test documentation was created but with lots of off-track and jargon information.
- Test cases didn’t cover the major application areas.
- Test management and bug-tracking systems were unorganized.
- The bug life cycle was not well-versed.
- QA team members didn’t possess the necessary automation skills.
- Test efforts lacked a structure for automation.
- There were no automated tests.
- QA engineers were not involved in planning or scoping and testing was often an afterthought.
- Lack of testing knowledge and poor test patterns led to an unstable testing culture.
- Testing was isolated to individual QA members.
- Testers documented and scripted tests in their own separate repository.
- Bug reports were incomplete and missing steps.
- Insufficient security testing.
- Inconsistent, unplanned, and long release cycles without thorough testing of the new and existing functionalities.
- Limited test environments and infrastructure.
- Understanding of agile and DevOps varied.
- Continuous integration was a struggle.
- Limited experience in agile ceremonies.
- The application became stable and robust with excellent user reviews.
- Worked with the product owner, UX designer, and clients and created and updated user stories precisely with clear acceptance criteria along with reviewing wireframes.
- Set up and followed the QA disciplines and workflow, and built and promoted a culture of quality assurance.
- Created precise testing strategy, test plan, test cases, checklists, confluence pages, and readme files.
- Identified test requirements from specifications, mapped with test cases, and designed a test coverage plan.
- Set up Jira, Asana, Miro, and Clickup and migrated and updated all the legacy test cases to the central repository.
- A great number of positive, negative, edge cases, and complicated test cases had been added to cover all major areas.
- Reviewed test scripts developed by other team members.
- An automated test framework and test suite were developed from scratch.
- Validated application user interface against Figma designs.
- Rapidly iterated testing as the application was updated.
- Involved QA engineers in the planning or scoping phase and performed the testing at each stage.
- Filled the knowledge gaps and improved the test patterns.
- Tested mobile application, for both iOS and Android devices, along with installation testing, payment sandbox, and SQL queries.
- Trained and taught everyone within the entire team to take ownership and responsibility for their respective testing activities.
- Provided mentorship and guidance to junior testers on the team.
- Collaborated closely with the developers and product owner and provided detailed testing reports along with priority, severity, expected results, actual results, reproduction steps, screenshots, screen recordings, and environment details.
- Bug reports were standardized and improved with all required information and attachments.
- Performed security and penetration testing thoroughly.
- Much more defects were caught earlier as the QA team got involved much earlier in the development life-cycle.
- All the critical and major bugs were found and fixed at the feature development stage and planned the short release cycles with release notes.
- Suggested team to create dedicated QA, UAT, and staging environments for thorough and organized testing activities.
- Helped troubleshoot issues with the application through reproduction, analyzed log files, and provided improvement suggestions.
- Collaborated with development and customer support teams to prioritize and resolve reported issues.
- Proactively communicated with customer support to gather information about new bugs, reproduce issues, and offer temporary workarounds when possible.
- Supported the testing on all the widely used browsers and mobile devices.
- Conducted responsive testing for multiple common screen resolutions.
- Performed regression testing, re-testing, smoke testing, and sanity testing after changes were made to the code or bug fixes or post-release.
- Advocated on agile and DevOps practices and culture.
- Plugged the automation test suite into the CI server for continuous integration benefits.
- Communicated and shared knowledge and experience with different cross-team members.
- Created a bi-trackability document to log the testing phases and bugs against the requirements along with appropriate sign-off documents.
- Maintained the software testing artifacts and act as a quality gatekeeper throughout the entire application testing.
- Continuously evaluated and improved the testing process to optimize efficiency and effectiveness.
- Improved processes to decrease the number of defects in production and increase the velocity of deploying new product releases.
- Performed housekeeping activities such as closing test cycles, resolving defects, releasing VMs, versioning documentation, archiving irrelevant test scripts, cleaning test environment, etc.
- Trained and participated in standups, bug triage, sprint planning, sprint estimation, retrospectives, backlog grooming, release planning, and 1:1 meetings.